On their first day in workplace, the Biden Administration introduced a 100-day pause on most removals from the USA. The pause is supposed to provide the Division of Homeland Safety time to conduct a department-wide assessment of insurance policies and practices in immigration enforcement. In the course of the assessment, the interim enforcement priorities will likely be:
- Nationwide safety: People who’ve engaged in or are suspected of terrorism or espionage, or whose apprehension, arrest and/or custody is in any other case vital to guard the nationwide safety of the USA.
- Border safety: People apprehended on the border or ports of entry whereas making an attempt to unlawfully enter the USA on or after November 1, 2020, or who weren’t bodily current in the USA earlier than November 1, 2020.
- Public security: People incarcerated inside federal, state, and native prisons and jails launched on or after the issuance of this memorandum who’ve been convicted of an “aggravated felony,” as that time period is outlined in part 101(a) (43) of the Immigration and Nationality Act on the time of conviction, and are decided to pose a menace to public security.
The interim priorities are to be utilized by DHS officers in making choices together with:
- Whether or not to problem, serve, file, or cancel a Discover to Seem;
- Whom to cease, query, or arrest;
- Whom to detain or launch;
- Whether or not to settle, dismiss, enchantment, or take part a movement on a case; and
- Whether or not to grant deferred motion or parole.
The interim enforcement priorities mirror a right away departure from the Trump priorities, which had been to hunt removing in practically all circumstances to the utmost extent allowable underneath the legislation (and generally past). The brand new priorities and the pause on removals might change the technique for individuals in removing proceedings and for these submitting functions to USCIS. If you’re involved in discussing your case and what the brand new priorities may imply for you, please contact our workplace to schedule a session with considered one of our immigration legal professionals.