The US is a rustic based by immigrants. A lot of our forefathers sought a greater life within the US the place they could possibly be free from spiritual persecution, famine, struggle, unjust class techniques, and different hardships. Most US residents in all probability imagine that the present immigration course of continues to help these in dire want of a protected – haven, but they’d be stunned to study that it’s extremely tough to obtain a grant of asylum.
Asylum seekers apply for asylum after both presenting themselves on the border or coming into the US.
So, does the present system work? A current report within the San Diego Union-Tribune cited bias, capriciousness, and disparities in end result as options of a damaged system that really deters and prevents asylum-seekers with legitimate claims from acquiring the security they want. Many occasions, asylum – seekers coming to America are ultimately returned to their nations the place they’re persecuted and even killed.
How can we repair this damaged system?
Instructed adjustments to the immigration course of for asylum-seekers
Consultants have studied the immigration course of for asylum and developed an inventory of steered adjustments. A couple of examples embody:
- Eradicating immigration judges, who’re Division of Justice staff, from below the chief department and make them an unbiased judiciary like chapter judges.
- Selecting immigration judges with extra numerous backgrounds. Many present immigration judges began out as prosecutors below Immigration and Customs Enforcement and are thus extra more likely to harbor a bias towards asylum – seekers.
- Serving to asylum-seekers truly get the authorized help that they should navigate a really advanced immigration courtroom system that baffles even native English audio system.
- Preserving asylum-seekers out of detention facilities and ending the method of treating them as criminals whereas choices about standing are made.
- Striving to create stability in close by nations to scale back the demand for asylum
The tip objective must be one thing everybody can agree on: discharging our authorized obligation to supply asylum to these with real claims.
Making use of for asylum affirmatively or in removing proceedings is a particularly advanced course of. It’s vastly harder for these with few assets, a restricted grasp of English, the language, and the overriding worry that failure might lead to prolonged persecution.
Many would agree that it’s time to repair our present system in order that in the present day’s asylum-seekers can have the identical alternatives as our forefathers.
Nonetheless have questions or need assistance?
The attorneys at Antonini and Cohen create and defend the chance for people, households, and companies to hunt and obtain the American Dream. Go to us on-line or name us at (404) 850-9394.
Marshall Cohen is likely one of the founding principals of Antonini & Cohen. Admitted to the Georgia Bar in 1989, he has practiced immigration legislation completely for over 30 years. Mr. Cohen practices all areas of immigration legislation together with household and employment instances, non permanent and everlasting visas, naturalization, deportation protection, and federal litigation.
Leave a Reply